Friday, November 6, 2009










The picture is of the Clifton Bridge in Bristol. It was an awesome opportunity to preach and complete my Masters Degree in the land of John Wesley, the founder of Methodism. When Wesley came to Bristol in response to an invitation from George Whitefield, he arrived and saw Whitefield preaching in places other than churches. Wesley saw this and was shocked, but joined in. In his journal he wrote, 'I submitted to being more vile, and proclaimed ... the glad tidings of [Jesus'] salvation to about 3,000 people.' Describing his offense of not preaching in a church Wesley wrote, 'I could scarce reconcile myself at first to this strange way of preaching ... having been all my life (till very lately) so tenacious of every point of order relating to decency and order, that I should have thought, the saving of souls almost a sin if it had not been done in a church'. In other words Wesley is saying that he had previously been was so focused on order that he nearly thought sharing the love of God outside a church was nearly a sin. I'm very grateful that Wesley changed his mind about that. Yet, I wonder what preconceived, man-made thoughts of order and decency do we need to change to share the love of God, even if it requires us to be vile? Think about it.

God loves ya, me too, Kel out

No comments: