Thursday, February 5, 2009












Many of you have asked about my seminary work here in England. I'm at Trinity Theological College, a division of the University of Bristol.That's Bristol, England. A very significant place to United Methodists with a lot of Wesley history. The college building is several hundred years old and used to be part of an estate. In other words, it was a house. Maybe I should say a mansion. We Americans think about England and romantic quaint mansions like this. One thing we don' think of is heating a building like this. Like most old buildings here, it's hard to heat and COLD! But aside from that, I am enjoying the training I am receiving here. No, I'm not living on the estate, but am in the inner city of Bristol. Since I am unable to work due to visa restrictions, I have recently started volunteering one day a week at a homeless shelter operated by the Methodist Church. It's sad to see the number of folks who have some very normal problems, but no one to give them a hand when they need it, which results in homelessness. A lot seems to be caused by slight mental illness. Not bad enough to be fully institutionalized, so they are ineligible, but are unable to hold down a full time job and no one to help them stay on their feet. It's kinda scary when I think that Jesus said, what we do to folk who need food, drink, clothes, shelter and friends, we do to Him. (Matthew 25.31-46)

God loves ya, me too, Kel out

No comments: